Re: What are Microsoft codecs?

Antonio wrote:

> Totem has come a long ways and you get it whether you like it or not
because it meets Fedora's requirements + it does not have the ability to
play proprietary file formats by default, one has to add them through
other repositories like rpmfusion.

To my surprise, it seems those codecs exist:

# gst-ffmpeg
FFmpeg-based plug-in, contains all the basic decoders for popular codecs,
such as DivX and WMV
# Pitfdll
Plug-ins using the Windows codec DLLs for which no free software
implementation exists yet.

http://projects.gnome.org/totem/

but I can't get them at rpmfusion, at least through regular repositories.
Some work seems to be ongoing:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Arpmfusion.org+gst-ffmpeg+OR+Pitfdll

but given that Fluendo is behind it, I wonder what the outcome will be.
For now, MPlayer certainly looks like a better alternative.

> I see several good things about the codecs(Micro$oft), as long as they
can
> be played with a player like mplayer/vlc/xine/_____/ etc,

There's nothing good to say of proprietary codecs on the web, Antonio.
Whether you can read them or not is not what matters. The end result is
always that people who own the rights on proprietary software make a lot
of dough just by pushing their standards.

>> It seems some people show a strange eagerness to make sure
>> the subject is
>> not discussed.

> They feel that "The Horse has been killed long time ago"

For now, nobody has explained what WMV codecs fundamentally are, how they
work, if Microsoft has put more into them than proprietary arrangements.
IMO, the horse is far from dead.

> There's also the Adobe Flash plugin, while the FREE* alternatives are
getting better, it is very difficult to compete with the original.
There
> are also vulnerabilities found in that software and intruders can get
control of your machine if you don't update the flash player to a newer
version if you have adobe's plugin.  With Video if you are on dialup,
you
> might as well (forget about it), you will want to watch a video and it
will take forever to download :(

You're right about this. Even though Flash is free as in free beer, it's
not a good solution.