Re: Intel DX58S0 (i7) motherboard and pci=nommconf

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 10:26 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I asked about this the other day with no response so I'll bring it up again,
> and include some detail that may be useful to others.
>
> This computer is has an Intel i7-940 CPU and a DX58S0 motherboard.  I have
> updated it to the latest bios that's available from Intel's website.
>
> With the default Fedora 11 installation, it will hang up on a warm boot.  When
> it boots normally it shows a quick "Intel" splash screen, the Grub, then loads
> Fedora 11.  If I warm boot it, most of the time it hangs up either right before
> or right after the Intel splash screen, with a black screen and a flashing
> cursor at the top left-hand side.

Edit your /etc/grub.conf, change:
timeout=0 to timeout=10 and comment out hidemenu.
Next, remove quiet and rhgb.

This should give you more information on what exactly hangs and when.

P.S. Any chance you have a second machine and a serial cable?

> If I cold-boot it (turn the machine off for a minute then turn it back on) it
> boots up and works fine.
>
> After much experimenting I have discovered that this problem seems to go away
> (at least so far) if I put "pci=nommconf" into my grub.conf file.

As far as I remember nommconf forces the kernel to ignore the PCI
configuration tables - which as far as I remember, are being generated
by the BIOS. (Anyone else?)

I find it hard to believe that an Intel board generates broken PCI
configuration tables.

Can you post the complete machine configuration?

> Therefore, if anyone else has one of these motherboards, you might want to try
> "pci=nommconf" and see if that solves the problem.
>
> I still don't completely understand what it is that I am giving up or changing
> by using pci=nommconf.  This computer appears to perform just as well with that
> line as without it.  So what is the advantage of pci=mmconf (the default)
> versus pci=nommconf?  Or are we just looking at two different routes to the
> same destination?

As far as I know, if everything works, it means that the kernel managed
to discover and configure all the PCI devices correctly and as such, I
see no harm in using it.

Either way, given the fact that it doesn't happen during cold boot, it
looks like a hardware issue to me.
I'd consider contacting your MB manufacturer.

- Gilboa