Re: Speaking of language support...

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 13:08 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Hiisi wrote:
> >
> > No, it won't. I'm running finnish interface. CUPS logs are in pure
> > english. But many other things in terminal or in boot stage are in finnsh.
> >
> Maybe you should file a request for enhancement to get log messages
> messages in the system language instead of English. It is something
> that needs to be done, but if nobody asks for it, it will not get
> done... There is also a need for people to translate messages into
> other languages.

I work almost entirely in a Spanish-speaking environment, but I've
actually found that most computer professionals are much happier with
system messages and logs in English and many prefer even menus to be in
English. Maybe that varies according to which part of the world we're
talking about, but the fact that the English-language messages are
standardized is a huge factor (e.g. you can look them up in Google).
Another factor is the wildly variant translations one finds for the same
terminology across different apps and translators.

Having the option is probably good, but it's interesting that localizing
these kinds of messages can actually impede comprehension.

<insert comparison with medieval Latin or diplomatic French here>

poc