Re: conflicted file in update this morning?

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:30:43 -0700 Alan Evans wrote:
>> That can't be it. Today's updates were all already installed packages.
>> Where should users go to find out? It's in none of the docs that I can
>> find.
>
> man yum.conf
>
> search down for 'color'. It lists the options and what the defaults
> are.

Why of course it is! Silly me; what was I thinking? [/sarcasm]

Seriously, thanks for that. Although it only deepens the mystery for
me. According to that page, bold means that the currently installed
packages are older than the packages that are available in updates. In
other words, completely normal updates. Normal, non-bold, means that
the package is to be reinstalled because the available package is the
same version as the installed package. In such a case, I'm curious why
yum thinks it needs to be updated at all.

Nevertheless, I've never noticed bold before in yum's to-be-updated
list, and I've been using yum a long time. Perhaps it just escaped my
eagle eye. But in this case, the installed version (libX11-1.2.1) is
certainly not the same as the version that was updated to
(libX11-1.2.2), so I find that the man page for yum.conf is incorrect.
(As well as unintuitive to find.)

Ah well, I got the update done, so I guess I shouldn't care. It's just
that I'm naturally bugged by things that don't make sense to me. But
it's all in the past now.

-Alan