Re: Dialup from a fedora machine

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- On Wed, 7/29/09, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am having a bit of an emergency.  I just lost
my regular medium speed internet connection and
am going to need to use dialup until I can buy
some replacement equipment.

So I am trying to setup ppp/dialup (anyone remember
that? :-) on my Fedora 11 machine (something I did
years ago in FC4 days).  I have a USR-5610B modem
in a pci slot.  But Fedora seems not to notice it --
when I reboot Anaconda fails to notice any new device
and I see no /dev/modem.

Not sure what to check.  I think the modem is ok as
I have two of them and the same problem with both.
AFAIK, the modem is real modem, not one of those
Win-modem things.

Is there anything special I need to do to make Fedora
aware of this thing?

-- fedora-list mailing list

If your modem is a REAL MODEM, then all that you should do is the following opening up a terminal shell

$ su -
passwd:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

it will scan and try to find a port could be /dev/ttyS0, ..., /dev/ttyS3, ..., etc. Then you edit the username, phone number and password and you should connect without problems. Also, You can try the configuration via NetworkManager, but I am more knowledgeable with wvdial and I can advise you with that better. I use winmodems and compile drivers for them :) [with exceptions of some of them :( ]

I tried wvdialconf but it says, "sorry, no modem found.  Is it
in use by another program?  Did you configure it properly with
setserial?"  Not sure what that last bit means but I think
setserial needs a serial device to configure and it is that
device that I seem to be missing.

NetworkManager too wants a device to talk to, with /dev/modem
being the default but since there is no such device (nor anything
I see that looks like it would be an emulated serial device that
talks to the pci modem card), I wasn't able to do much with that.

I found a USR support page which lists Linux as a usable OS
and a rpm which looks a little small to be a driver but I'll
see.

BTW, thanks for your earlier reply to my lcd monitor/x11 config
question.  Haven't had a chance to get to it yet because of this
latest disaster, but will soon.