Re: Dialup from a fedora machine

--- On Wed, 7/29/09, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Dialup from a fedora machine
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 4:16 PM
> Hello all,
>
> I am having a bit of an emergency.  I just lost
> my regular medium speed internet connection and
> am going to need to use dialup until I can buy
> some replacement equipment.
>
> So I am trying to setup ppp/dialup (anyone remember
> that? :-) on my Fedora 11 machine (something I did
> years ago in FC4 days).  I have a USR-5610B modem
> in a pci slot.  But Fedora seems not to notice it --
> when I reboot Anaconda fails to notice any new device
> and I see no /dev/modem.
>
> Not sure what to check.  I think the modem is ok as
> I have two of them and the same problem with both.
> AFAIK, the modem is real modem, not one of those
> Win-modem things.
>
> Is there anything special I need to do to make Fedora
> aware of this thing?
>
> -- fedora-list mailing list

If your modem is a REAL MODEM, then all that you should do is the following opening up a terminal shell

$ su -
passwd:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

it will scan and try to find a port could be /dev/ttyS0, ..., /dev/ttyS3, ..., etc.  Then you edit the username, phone number and password and you should connect without problems.

Also,
You can try the configuration via NetworkManager, but I am more knowledgeable with wvdial and I can advise you with that better.  I use winmodems and compile drivers for them :) [with exceptions of some of them :( ]

Regards,

Antonio