Re: [Slightly OT] Re: Ranter or evangelist?

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 01:13:59 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/26/2009 12:28 PM, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > If bugzilla had any effect don't you think that users would stop doing the
> > "let's see if this other application works" dance all the time? My feeling
> > is bugzilla works only for kernel developers.
>
> Your feeling is wrong since bugzilla is hardly used by kernel
> developers.  If you refuse to file bug reports, what is point of
> ranting? It is reaching nowhere.

The kernel folks use bugzilla quite actively these days. There is also
a dedicated regression tracker at work and a policy of fixing regressions
which includes Linus locking down the kernel for anything but bug fixes
early each release cycle.

What makes it work however is people co-operating with the process and
also being willing to chase down and work on bugs.

What helps a lot is that there are not a large number of people with the
strange idea that the kernel is a product and bugzilla is tech support
they are somehow entitled to merely because they downloaded it for free.

Alan