Re: fedora 11 worst then ever release

On 07/26/2009 02:37 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

"all of my system has a wrong openssl version"

all these symptoms sound like your upgrade went horribly wrong. I've seen
preupgrade mash up a box by half upgrading like that. It's the main
reason
I don't think preupgrade is actually safe to use yet.

Preupgrade's process is to depsolve - using the same method anaconda
does, download the pkgs it solves out. Put them in a cachedir. Download
a kernel and an initrd, Setup a ks.cfg. then reboot the machine and
allow anaconda to do the install.

Specific issues we've had with preupgrade are related to not being able
to find a mirror and/or not being able to get pkgs.
Mine were
* preupgrade running out of diskspace on / when trying to fill /var/cache/yum (my "/"'s tend to be minimized/small)

* anaconda failing during reboots due not being able to process fstab correctly (FC11's anaconda misparses fstab and is unable able to process bind-mounts nor nfs-mounts).

* anaconda's depsolving failed when upgrading an FC10 + FC10-updates system due to NEVR issues.

Ralf