Re: mailing list pgp signatures...

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[please excuse delay in replying. i was waiting for noise level to drop]

> Needham and Schroeder famously said that anyone who thinks his problem will
> be solved by cryptography hasn't understood his problem, and hasn't
> understood cryptography.

i am not familiar with your reference, but i have been dealing with crypto
from back in early 60's and i do understand problems and problems that i am
faced with. there is a lot that can go wrong with crypto and in some cases,
it does break down.

> I asked before if anyone could point to a specific case on this list. I still
> don't have an answer (you said you had one but it was stopped by list
> management, i.e. the use of signatures simply didn't arise).

if you would like, and ask, i will look for what i received from list
management and sent it to you. off list.

> IOW my view is that signatures *on mailing lists such as this one* are
> essentially a waste of time.

not always, as i stated before, a member of this list did try to forge my
key and it was caught by list server. therefore, i contend that it is not
completely a waste.

i understand point of view and i respect it. but, as it has proved out, my
using a pgp sig was and is beneficial.

if someone does spend time to break my key and manages to forge my pgp sig,
then i will create and stronger key.

> PS BTW, an excellent layman's history of crypto is Simon Singh's "The
> Codebook".

i am downloading cd version now. looking forward to seeing what it is about.
i did note that there was a notice 'for pc'. i do hope that it is not limited
to msbsos pc's.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.