Re: mailing list pgp signatures...

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> The whole point of PGP-style signatures is the "web of trust". If you

true. tho, if you email someone and they send you their pgp sig, then you
can feel reasonably certain that pgp sig is from them.

> The point of key servers is not to verify anything, it's to make keys
> easily accessible.

as i stated previously, i have used a key server. i also got an increase
threefold of spam, which happened within a few days of registering key.

key servers are a very good idea. they just need to be more restrictive of
how information is passed out. which is something that would be very hard
to do.

> And in conclusion: the use of signatures (even registered ones) on
> large, essentially anonymous, mailing lists is at best debatable.

i agree with this also, and as i stated in other posts, an attempt was made
to forge my pgp sig and it was caught by list server. therefore, in my case
use of a pgp sig stopped what could have been a very undesirable incident.
so, it can and did happen. i still have, some where, notice that i received.

if you are still in question as to advantage of pgp sigs, i would be happy
to look for it and post it so that all can see that there are times when
having a pgp sig does work.

i even asked list moderators if it was possible to inform me of what was
sent, but i was told that such was done automatically by server and there
was no way to recover email.

i accept your points, but only with a view as you make. from my view, i do
find use of a pgp sig to be beneficial.

in closing, please understand, i do not use a sig or pgp sign my post to
cause discontent. they are for a purpose and so far, that purpose is and
has being serving the intent. if a few can not understand this, then there
is nothing that i can/will do to bring them to a better understanding.

> PS I highly recommend a Stanford paper from a few years back, entitled
> "Why Johnny Can't Encrypt". Google for it, it's very illuminating.

i found this thru google search and did pull a pdf. i have not read all of
it yet, but i do intend to.

again, as always, i thank you for your input, as i do hold you in high regard.

also, please excuse delay in my reply. noise level was high and i wanted to
let it settle down some.

later.

--

peace out.