Re: Setting up OpenVPN semi-manually

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
2009/7/13 Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>:
I have a VPN gateway using OpenVPN, running a custom distribution. It has
keys which were generated by hand, installed by hand, etc. It has no GUI, no
X, firewall only.

I am looking for a doc on how I take a key from a file on the server, and
install it using the NetworkManager. Just poking the GUI didn't make it
obvious, I got one working by taking NM out and installing by hand using my
Slackware notes, but that's really ugly.

Did you try ricght clicking on the NM applet, selecting "edit
connections" and then chosing the VPN tab? There i see a "import"
button amongst other things? I've never used this functionality
though, so I am just guessing.

Yes, that's why I asked. It turns out that nothing I could do in NM was going to be useful, because NM runs too late, no matter how many "start this at boot" boxes I click, it doesn't, so all the things I want to do using the tunnel fail.

AFAIK the answer is to hack it into the end of the network startup in rc.whatever, so that it has a connection with the outside world. That means killing NM and using nice sane network config, and it seems to work just fine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>