Re: Ranter or evangelist?

On 07/20/2009 08:34 AM, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 19:22 -0400, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Since I wanted to make sure I'd have all components needed to have a
>>> nice working MPlayer system, I just installed pretty much everything
>>> that was suggested. Had I looked more closely, I would have deselected
>>> anything with the name xmms in it because I knew how much trouble xmms
>>> has meant to me in the past. But a pure newbie wouldn't know. So, IMO,
>>> Pirut shouldn't suggest to install xmms when installing Mplayer.
>>
>> The system can't really make magic decisions that a user is doing
>> something dumb, e.g. wildcarding, in a too simplistic manner.  Users
>> need to learn not to do wildcarding without due care.  Usually, they
>> learn that through committing mistakes.
>>
>> *You* asked for it, you got it.  It's not its fault.
>
> Absolutely not. I didn't change Pirut, Pirut, Pirut -- did you read Pirut?
> -- default settings.

There is no "Pirut" in Fedora 11. If you search for a word in
PackageKit, it will use wild cards to get the full list of packages that
match the search criteria but you are the one selecting the packages and
shouldn't be blindly selecting all of them. It is clear from the
discussion that you have mistakenly installed and uninstalled some
packages.

Rahul