Re: Ranter or evangelist?

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 01:03 -0400, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> But suggesting to friends that they use XMMS and type meaningless
> scribbles to make a CD play would make one look like a loonie and
> suggesting to install something else will rightfully bring the
> following question: "Why is it not the default?"

It used to be that there was a simple "CD player" application in the
menu.  It's still an addable item, as far as I know, and far less
cumbersome than dealing with XMMS or RhythmBox.

> The default interface size is way too small for most modern screen
> definition. Double size really looks like it's been blown out.

Some people want a small thing, so they can leave it on the desktop, but
not get in the way of everything that they're doing.  There's a reason,
and that's one of them, that several different programs have copied
WinAmp, in that regard.

> XMMS spatly refuses to play the first track of the 2 CDs I tried
> (Rhythmbox plays them, so it's not the CDs.)

That's a little bit too little diagnosis of the problem.  XMMS works
fine with any disc that any other program plays, for me.  I'd be far
more inclined to say it is your discs or your drive that's causing the
problem that at least one program has problems with.

> let's face it: for all the protest, not a single person in this thread
> said that he uses XMMS,

I do, and didn't say that I don't.  Considering that I gave quite a bit
of info on using it, I thought it was obvious that I do.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.