Re: good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Paul Erickson<va7nt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> After a couple of tries, I managed to get the disk formatted as an ext3
> partition.
> Unfortunately, now when I try to copy files to it, it get an error message
>
> Error while copying.
>
> The folder "backup" cannot be copied because you do not have permissions to
> create it in the destination.
>
> I tried using chmod to change the permissions on /dev/sdc, but this does not
> solve the
> problem. One good thing, Now when I plug the drive in, it is consistently
> recognized by
> the machine, so that is one step forward.

I am guessing you were not doing the backups as root? Presumably you
did your partition creation as root.

I trust that when you plug in the drive is not only gets recognised
but also puts an icon on the desktop.  You should also find that it
appears as /media/some-usb-diskname

So become root  (i.e. su - )
What I would suggest is that you make a directory with mkdir
/media/some-usb-diskname/mybackups

Then chmod 777 /media/some-usb-diskname/mybackups
which will make the directory world writeable.

Then try
rsync -av some-directory /media/some-usb-diskname/mybackups/

This should certainly work as root but since the directory is now
writeable by anybody it should also work as a normal user.
You should then see /media/some-usb-diskname/mybackups/some-directory
and the files and directories within it.

If so then you should be good to go.

--
mike