Re: good external hard drives (e.g. WD Elements)?

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Paul Erickson<va7nt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/17/2009 03:10 AM, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> I have been using a Seagate FreeAgent Go external usb drive for this purpose
> for some time and has worked flawlessly.  When I got the drive I simply
> re-partitioned it with ext3 from scratch, and removed all trace of the
> Windows one-touch backup system in the process.
>
> Plugging in to F10 and F11 based systems under Gnome works just fine and I
> run backups based on rsync (and rdiff-backup).
>
> The drive is physically small and neat and the only minor issue is the short
> usb lead that comes with the drive.
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> If you don't mind, I would appreciate a little more detail. I have been
> trying to get
> a 500g Segate FreeAgent Go to work, and so far, I have had no success. When
> I can
> get the box to recognize it, I keep getting write errors, and frequently the
> drive
> will not be recognized at all.
>
> Thanks in advance.

No problem - First i did
yum install qtparted
and then I simply plugged in the drive and used qtparted to remove the
existing partitions and then write a single ext3 partition on the
drive. I can't remember if I had to unmount the drive after it was
plugged in but when doing these kinds of operation I usually do
tail -f /var/log/messages
and see what the device name is when a drive is plugged in. If an icon
pops up on the Gnome desktop I then right click it and select unmount
drive.

I don't remember this being a problem at all.

Once I had re-written the new partition and got the operation applied
I then removed the drive and plugged it back in and then it just
worked flawlessly after that. I partitioned it on a machine running
F10, but I seem to remember that the qparted package is actually from
F9 according to the tag on the rpm.

I guess that any other partitioning tool should in principle also work
- but certainly qtparted worked for me.

I hope that helps.

--
mike