Re: Ranter or evangelist?

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:26:51 -0400 (EDT), gilpel wrote:

> Why is it that, when I insert an audio disk, I see it as an audio disk on
> my desktop, but when I click it, GNOME shows the .wav files that are
> present. No application is suggested, even under "Open", to play the
> damned music. If I go to Application, sound and video, the first option,
> "Audio Player", opens XMMS.
>
> Great! I click the forward button... I'm presented with a list of the...
> no, no, no! not the files on the CD, but the files in my home directory!!!

XMMS is not installed by default. At some point of time you've installed
it yourself.

It's an old piece of software with quite a number of problem reports in
Fedora bugzilla. Some of these have been closed incorrectly when some
versions of Fedora reached EOL. If I recall correctly, the XMMS desktop
menu entry is wrong, and therefore it doesn't accept file/path arguments
passed to it.

Without the help of a virtual file-system for Audio CDs, XMMS cannot play
the WAV PCM tracks found on an Audio CD. Unless you read its documentation
to learn how to point it to an audio cd (and the xmms-cdread plugin for
digital Audio CD input is orphaned again, I think).