Re: missing audio after F11 install on IBM T61 Thinkpad

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:37:47 -0700 (PDT)
Globe Trotter <itsme_410@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been missing audio after installing F11 (from the XFCE spin)
> on my IBM Thinkpad T61. I looked around and even tried the following:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=206868&highlight=problems+sound
>
> but this did nothing. alsamixer -c0 brought in a while lot of stuff
> and I dutifully changed everything from <MM> to 00 without
> understanding the implications, but to no avail. Any suggestions? I
> sort of miss the old system-config-sound and then clicking to see
> whether sound would work on the older Fedoras (before 10).
>
> This machine had previously been upgraded from F8->F9->F10 so I never
> felt the problems in F10. I chose to install this time because of the
> ext4 filesystem, etc and hence getting sound working is a different
> ball-game.
>
> Thanks in advance for all the help!
> Best wishes,

I'll try some suggestions, but I suspect you are running HDA-intel
architecture as most new sound cards have that architecture, and I'm
not very familiar with it.  I use AC97 sound cards and they work fine.
USB sound cards that adhere to the standard are supposed to work fine
too, but I haven't experience with them either.  Also, while I have
pulseaudio installed, I have it disabled as the default device and
don't start it on boot.  So I can't help a lot with pulse stuff.  There
is a website, http://www.pulseaudio.org  where you can probably get
help.  Others here might help you with pulse.

The first suggestion is to go to the link below and run the shell
script.  It will print a whole bunch of information, much of it useful
only for developers, but very comprehensive picture of your sound
system.  If you post it here, it allows people to see your sound setup,
and perhaps spot a problem.

You probably don't have any of the configuration from F10, but it would
be great if you had run the alsa-info.sh program and saved the output
so you could run it again and look at the differences.  Good idea for
next time.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh

Run a wav file with aplay and see if it plays sound.

aplay -D plughw:0,0 some.wav

This will tell you if alsa has identified your device properly.

Use something like audacity or amarok, which allows you to select the
device to use, import an audio file, and see if it plays. Does the vu
meter show sound while playing, even if it is silent?  Try different
outputs.  What if you do the same thing after a pulseaudio --kill  ?
Have you run alsamixer to get the pulse volume control and turned it up?

Go to the link below and download the latest driver snapshot.  You can
install it as it is supposed to be backward compatible, but that isn't
necessary at this point.  If you just unpack it, go into the directory
that it unpacks to, something like alsa-driver-snapshot, and then into
alsa-kernel/Documentation you will find all the driver documentation.
Grep for your codec.  Look at the HDA files for troubleshooting
information.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

I've had no major issues with sound in F11 x86_64, but I don't have
hda-intel cards.  I have pulseaudio installed, but don't use it.
Before I disabled it, it seemed to work fine.