Re: F11 upgrade - worse than Windows

Peter J. Stieber wrote:
PS = Pete Stieber
PS>> So your feeling is I should abort the
PS>> currently stuck install?

KC = Kevin J. Cummings
KC> If you can't find out what's been installed
KC> and what isn't, yes, I'd abort and try again.
KC>  Seems I always end up doing that anyways.  B^)
KC>
KC> 24x80 is *not* enough buffer space on any of
KC> the 3 log screens to be able to scroll back
KC> and see information that has scrolled off the
KC> screen.  Seems that's always what happens, by
KC> the time you find the right screen to look at,
KC> the useful information has scrolled off the top
KC> of it.

PS>> Can anyone tell me what anaconda does during a
PS>> GUI install after it reads...
PS>>
PS>> N of N packages completed
PS>>
PS>> in the background, and
PS>>
PS>> Finishing upgrade process.  This may take a little while...

KC> Could be just package cleanup (ie deleting the
KC> OLD RPMs from the db, cleaning up the grub.conf
KC> file, etc.)  Or it could be actually starting
KC> to run the transaction in which case its only
KC> starting to install the N packages....
KC>
KC> Can you see if the new kernel is in your grub.conf?

It is.

KC> If you chroot to your /mnt/sysimage, does rpm -qa
KC> show the new RPMS as installed?  Does it show any
KC> of your old ones too?

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# rpm -qa | grep fc10
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - no such file or directory
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Does this indicate what the problem is?

No, your current install probably has the db open for write access....
Depending on what you had installed under f10 (a lot of kernels?) it could take a while to reconstruct your db.

At this point I'd try rebooting and see if you can boot the new kernel....

If so, try a yum-complete-transaction to see if anything needs cleaning up. You might find a few things that need cleaning up... At best, you might not find any problems.... Absolute worst, is you can't boot at all and need the rescue disk to recover. but it looks like the bulk of the install finished.

Also, remember if you have RPM problems after the reboot, try:

	cd /var/lib/rpm
	rm -f __*
	rpm --rebuilddb

And if your rebuild hangs, try it with a number of -v options, log the output, and post it here....

Pete

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx