Re: simple LDAP for address book?

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 10:39 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Every once and I while I take a look at trying to setup an
> LDAP server on my system for keeping address book info (so
> I can access it remotely as I already do with my dovecot IMAP
> server).
>
> Every time I start looking at it, I find way too much
> information about enterprise class directory servers
> and sql back ends and user authentication, etc.
>
> Anyone know of a simple howto somewhere on the net for
> setting up LDAP just to use for a personal address book?
> (Preferably some server offered in fedora repos).
>
> I have this feeling I could write my own custom LDAP
> server in less time than I could understand the documentation
> for the existing ones :-).
----
this is nonsense

It would be necessary to understand LDAP protocols and structure to
write your own LDAP server and if you understood that much, you wouldn't
need a 'howto'.

LDAP server is like an erector set of tools but you have to decide what
to build. I know what confused me about LDAP when I first started and I
think most people fall into this same trap. You start with one person's
concept and it only takes you so far so you find something else on the
Internet and that isn't compatible with what you already started and you
get confused and give up. Everyone builds LDAP database differently. Get
used to that concept.

If you really want to learn LDAP, get an old simple book - LDAP System
Administration by Gerald Carter. The only problem with this book is that
it used ldbm backend and current LDAP uses bdb. This will teach you all
of the usage of LDAP and after 2-3 hours, you will understand and be
able to do most anything in LDAP.

If you continue to search for walk-throughs on the Internet, you will
probably fail. At least I have never found someone who linked something
on the Internet that took from from knowing nothing about LDAP to
understanding it.

Craig

believed to be clean.