Re: simple LDAP for address book?

I've had luck setting up the OpenLDAP server (sibling of Fedora Directory Server) and getting Thunderbird to read names out of it, though I never tried writing back to it, or working with a single address book versus one global address book.

It's a bit difficult at first because you have to understand that LDAP uses a tree structure, so e.g. if you wanted to have per-account address books in LDAP, you would need to configure each client's base DN appropriately, e.g. ou=AddressBook,ou=UserName,ou=People,dc=server,dc=com, or however you decide to organize it. That string path is a tree map, with each proceeding entry acting as a sibling to the one that comes next. The idea is kind of like DNS, e.g. 'com' is the master of 'server', which is the master of 'People', which has a 'UserName', who has a subtree 'AddressBook'. OpenLDAP's /etc/ config file lets you specify different usernames and passwords to access different parts of the tree. I'm sure if you decide one day to use LDAP for single sign-on, you can use those credentials as the address book credentials too.

It is a bit difficult but I wouldn't say it's overkill any more so than IMAP is overkill compared to local mail delivery, and it's definitely the open standards way to do networked address books, imo.