Re: Did I really install Kmod-Nvidia ?

> On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 22:13 -0400, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> the process was so transparent, I can't help but wonder if all those
>> modifications to the kernel that I read about in the doc have been
>> made.
>
> What modifications to the kernel are you expecting?

Well, when I tried to install the driver on my system with the NVIDIA
instructions, I came to a step where you had to download a precompiled
version of the kernel or, since , my net connection was closed, it was
suggested to recompile on my system.

>From what you say here, I gather that this step is already done for
Fedora: whatever changes need to be made for the Nvidia kernel, they are
present in the default kernel. kmod install the driver, akmod is used only
in case you use a kernel other that the one provided by default by Fedora.
The Nvidia procedure doesn't seem aware that the Fedora kernel is ready to
use.

I just checked the instructions at rpmfusion. They provided the answer I
needed. Here goes:

Fedora 10 and 11

Please remember that once the drivers are installed, they will configure
your xorg.conf automatically and changes will take effect after a full
reboot. There is no need to run nvidia-xconfig or other tools.

GeForce 6 and higher (mine is a 9400 GT)

yum install kmod-nvidia

Fedora 11 and nouveau

As nouveau is enabled by default starting with Fedora 11, you may
experience problem which is caused by the nouveau kernel module being
present in the initrd image. To avoid such problem, after you have
installed the right series of the nvidia driver for your hardware, execute
the following commands:

su -
mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img /boot/initrd-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
reboot

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

----------------------------------

Before reboot, the following command:

lsmod | grep nouveau

has this output (for me):

nouveau               472800  0
drm                   208060  1 nouveau
i2c_algo_bit            6020  1 nouveau
i2c_core               22288  5 nvidia,i2c_piix4,nouveau,drm,i2c_algo_bit

After reboot, there is no output whereas:

lsmod | grep nvidia

gives:

nvidia              10260024  26
i2c_core               22240  2 i2c_piix4,nvidia

The Nvidia driver is installed!

I had read the instructions at fedorafaq.org, which are:

   3. Become root:

      su -

   4. Install the driver:

      yum install kmod-nvidia

   5. Reboot your machine:

      reboot

And now you should have working 3D with your nVidia card!

--------------------

As you can see there is no mention of changing the .img file in /boot.
Those instructions seem incomplete and shouldn't provide a working Nvidia
driver.

Should I write to Max Kanat-Alexander to suggest changes? Do we agree?

A search on:

"mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img /boot/initrd-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img"

command at Google outputs 2 results: one for the page at rpmfusion and one
for this forum. It seems the instructions are nowhere complete except at
rpmfusion... unless some other places $(uname -r) is replaced by something
such as {your-kernel-version}, which would be rather ackward.