Re: firefox & thunderbird both spontaneously crash since upgrading from F10 -> F11

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> I've spent the past hour googling, and found several others with the
> same problem, but no solutions that worked for me.  Since upgrading
> from F10 -> F11 (i686), both thunderbird & firefox spontaneously crash
> with the error:
>
> INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the JVM manager
> System error?:: No such file or directory
>
> I was able to work around the problem on thunderbird by doing what was
> suggested here:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50237&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
>
> however, the same workaround doesn't apply to firefox.  What I've
> tried on firefox (without improvement) is:
> 0) Remove the java plugin from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins (there is none
> in my $HOME/.mozilla)
> 1) start up in --safe-mode (it still crashes)
> 2) delete my ~/.mozilla
> 3) remove & reinstall the firefox RPM
>
> If I download and install the 'official' firefox-3.5 package from the
> Mozilla website, that one does not crash, an works fine.  So this
> appears to be a bug in the fedora version.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?

Hah, imagine that.  I had the build from Mozilla's website and it would
crash within 30 seconds of starting it up.  Since I removed that and
loaded the rpm from Fedora that issue has disappeared.  FWIW, my
thunderbird is from the mozilla website and it seems to be running fine
(2.0.22) although it did crash the other day for some reason.  Nice to
know that whatever changes they've made in Firefox seems to be present
in both the Fedora and Mozilla versions.