Re: New to Fedora, Network Issues.

Mike Adolf wrote:
The windows firewall is off. I depend on the router's firewall. I have
made some progress - I think. On the linux side the network window shows
icons for all machines on the LAN. Also it show an icon for "Window
network". If I open the window network I see all machines in my windows
work group. If I open a machine icon I get a logon dialog but I have no
accounts on those machines so I don't expect to connect.  I still can
ping. I to now say "unreachable from my IP". And the linux disked I
shared via samba still does not show up on the windows side. I expected
it to show up under "windows network". I turned ip6tables and iptables
back on.

Hang in Mike! You really have a network problem rather than something particular to Fedora. I would think that the firewall should be enabled and use the configuration to allow SMB and NMB (samba and netbios) access.

If all else fails we will teach you to use tcpdump and wireshark, a most valuable method of understanding any network issue regardless of origin. And about $1000 cheaper than a sniffer hardware of equal capability.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>