Re: OT: can DHCP server tell laptop client to not try to update DNS?

Dave Burns wrote:
I've been looking at the dhcpd.conf man page, there is much info about
how to get DHCP to do DNS updates, but I want to make sure there are
none. I want DHCP server to tell all its clients "don't mess with the
DNS server." Is it possible and if so how?

The guys in charge of our DNS server say that a bunch of our windows
laptops are trying to update the DNS server, which generates lots of
errors in the logs, because they run a pretty static setup. Do I have
to go around and reconfigure every windows laptop (naturally the
windows default is to try to update DNS) or can I get DHCP to do it
for me?

Sorry for the weird question, but I can't seem to get on the right
track with man page and googling. I am hoping for a good hint.

If you want to block the client's attempt to update their DNS records,
then you want to use the "deny client-updates;" option in the pool (or
global).
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-     I was married by a judge.  I should have asked for a jury.     -
-                                                   -- Groucho Marx  -