Re: Help with d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs

On Monday 06 July 2009, David wrote:
>On 7/6/2009 5:30 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> The way that you wrote this Gene I would think that your "driving amanda
>>> to squawk" problem is an amanda problem not a .gvfs problem. Amanda is
>>> an 'addon' backup application, correct? And .gvfs is part of the Fedora
>>> operating file system. This .gvfs *belongs* there and is needed.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>>  David
>>
>> By what, David?  I'm running kde here.  I just made that script from a
>> tree if any has now been deleted.  We will wait and see what squawks.
>
>FUSE
>
>Filesystem in Userspace
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace
>
>My guess would be something important.  :-)
>
>> As far as the comment about an addon, non-approved app like amanda is
>> concerned, I have been running amanda since back in the day when redhat
>> actually supplied bru as its backup app.  Amanda beat it then, and still
>> beats anything in the fedora repos 11 years later.  Quality code generally
>> stands the test of time, particularly when it has been in active
>> development for all of those years, even before linux itself I believe as
>> its an even older unix app.  I'm running the snapshot taken on 06/22/2009
>> right now.  Where is bru today?  I have no idea.
>
>When I said addon I meant 'no part of the original installed operating
>system'. And I would still be more inclined to pester the amanda
>developers about this bug than to perhaps disable a perfectly running
>computer.

That depends on whose fault it is.  Having something existing on a system that
not even root can control sends up alarms, fireworks and red flags to me.
There is no way in hell I can lay that problem on amanda's doorstep.  This is
supposed to be open source, where everything is visible and controllable.
This thing seems to have been under the radar till it just showed up, set as a
default someplace.

As for starting something called FUSE at boot time, should not whatever it is
that starts the daemon set off a fuss if it cannot find the daemon to start
it?  I just rebooted, to 2.6.30.1 because the oom killer in 31-rc2 only allows
around 12-18 hours of uptime, BIG memory leak somewhere.  And no mention shows
in a dmesg, I just looked again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"Computers may be stupid, but they're always obedient. Well, almost always."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)