Re: TRY AGAIN, error running Maple 7 on Fedora 10

Kevin Kofler wrote:
William M. Quarles wrote:
The line "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" is a tweak that I have had to add
since Red Hat Linux 9 to get Maple 7 to work.

That hack is no longer supported (and hasn't been since Fedora Core 5 (!)), thus your error. The purpose of that hack was to force glibc to use the old LinuxThreads implementation instead of the current NPTL (Native POSIX Thread Library) (which is normally fully backwards-compatible, but some applications relied on LinuxThreads bugs and thus needed that hack to work). But LinuxThreads was removed (completely) in Fedora Core 5, so the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL hack cannot work anymore.

Where can I find more information on this LinuxThreads deal?

Also, I'd like to add, it is really sad in the sense of backwards-compatibility when I'm having more luck running the Windows version of Maple 7 under Wine than I am having trying to get it to work in Fedora. I can't get the graphs to display using Wine, but at least it does operations well enough.