Re: sudo for gnome apps

suvayu ali wrote:
> 2009/7/2 Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> What's a good howto/quickstart for polkit in Fedora?
>>

> I didn't follow any howtos or guides, what I used to do was look at
> the "details" drop down thing on the dialogue that comes up when
> polkit asks for the root password. That should have the key that sets
> the permissions in that particular context. Now run polkit and look
> for that key and play around with it. Kinda lame I know, but fun and
> instructive "through experience". :)
>
> For example I used to think the permissions for auto-mounts for
> external or internal disks will be under devices. But it is actually
> controlled by a key under HAL (can't confirm right now. @ work). If
> you think about it thats the more reasonable place for the key, after
> all auto-mounting is done by HAL. :P
>
> I don't know how helpful this will be, but I enjoyed it. Good Luck and
> have fun tweaking. :)

So I've followed your advice and played around with it.
>From what I can tell so far, polkit allows me to give permissions to a
user -- but it doesn't make them re-enter their password, a la sudo. Or
am I missing something?

My thinking is that the user should be given access to the system
settings, but implicitly warned about potential problems by the password
prompt. More to the point, if the user were to download some [possibly
malicious] program, it shouldn't have the user's permissions. With
polkit permissions, the malicious program will have direct access to the
system; in ubuntu/sudo, user will be asked for password, alerting them
to the fact that system-wide changes are happening.
sudo is a good example of what I want -- but I want it in GUI land