Re: Network guru help sought please

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Since you are tracing the packets, you can look at the DNS request for mirrorlist and see what IP is being returned by your nameserver. I'm not
sure
how you conclude that the mirrorlist "is not interpreted" whatever that
means,
you must have gotten a valid IP from DNS, but the name is truncated or not
in
DNS properly, or whatever. Run tcpdump with the -n option and see what IP
you
get back.

Thanks for your response.
By "not interpreted" I meant that the packets all went to and from
fedoraproject.org , rather than any mirror.

I'll see what tcpdump -n tells me, as you suggest.
The main problem with tcpdump is that there are millions of packets
from the rest of the family using the same WiFi access point.

I suspect your DNS, but please provide more information. Those lines work
here
for FC{9,10,11} so I believe there's something broken at your end.

I'm sure you are right.
I tried changing the servers in /etc/resolv.conf , but that made no difference.

Hi Tim,

I know I'm just jumping in here, but could I suggest that you use Wireshark, given your level of technical knowledge? it may be easier to understand the packets when they are shown graphically, and not the text-based tcpdump. BTW, you can use tcpdump and store the packets in a file and have wireshark read te tcpdump file.