Re: new disk layout

muhammad panji wrote:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Mick M.<off_by_1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi;
 I would like some input on disk partitions.
I bought a 1TB sata drive, it works fine,

At the moment my system has 3 drives 1 160M IDE and 2 sata 250M and 1TB.
The IDE is for XP, as it will not see the SATA drives.

I want to remove the IDE drive and install XPx64 on the new drive as a VirtualBox image.
I also want to install F11 on that drive.

My other SATA drive is F10, I want to leave that alone and dual boot F10/F11.

OK  - what do you suggest for partitions on this drive?
I want to use "regular" partitions - not the default LVM stuff.

I was thinking:
1 /boot ext3 200M
2 swap 82    4G ( I have 2G memory)
2 G of swap is enough
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-15252

Unfortunately you need enough swap to hold all of dirty program memory if you ever suspend, and the upgrade from 2GB to 4GB is very common, so planning ahead is a good thing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>