Re: Preupgrade still not working

stan wrote:

>> You mentioned "filtering".
>> That certainly sounds like a plausible explanation.
>> But where could I be filtering these connections?
>
> I would guess at the CentOS server.  You could take the fedora laptop
> to a local access point and try to get the file from there.  If it
> succeeds, that says it is the CentOS server.  If not, there is
> something wrong in the protocol on all the linux boxes you're sending.

Thanks for your suggestions.
What's puzzling is that the Windows laptop
(actually it is the same laptop running Windows XP in place of Fedora)
goes through the same CentOS box to the internet.

> I've given pretty much all the help I can.  At this point you need
> to set up some packet monitoring on the CentOS server and try both the
> wget from fedora and the browser request from windows.  Compare the
> packets.  There must be a difference.  I don't know the details of how
> to do that, though I'm pretty sure it isn't that difficult and is
> available in linux.

I don't really understand how the mirrorlist URL is interpreted.
I notice that under Windows, if I "ping mirrors.fedoraproject.org"
and then substitute IP address I get in http://<IP address>/releases.txt
then again the file is not found.

Incidentally, I've been running the CentOS machine for a couple of years,
and never had any problem like this with any other URL.

I'm sure the basic cause of my misunderstanding
is that I don't understand what a "mirrorlist" is,
or rather how it is interpreted.

But I'll see if tcpdump, or something like that, will tell me anything.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net