Re: Help to sort a multimedia system??? (still)

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 05:45:26 +0200
From: Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help to sort a multimedia system???  (still)
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

DB wrote:
> $ rpm -qa phonon\*
> phonon-devel-4.3.1-2.fc10.i386
> phonon-backend-xine-4.3.1-2.fc10.i386
> phonon-4.3.1-2.fc10.i386
> phonon-backend-gstreamer-4.3.1-2.fc10.i386

Try rpm -e phonon-backend-gstreamer to see if that helps. It should be
picking up xine by default already, but it's best to be sure.
Unfortunately, Phonon's GStreamer backend is not as reliable as the
xine-lib one.

OK done that!
> At the moment, the audio_cd.device box contans /dev/cdrom. Is it
> possible to somehow list cdrom & cdrom1?

No, you'll have to change it when you want to use the other drive.

>> You need libdvdcss from Livna.
>>
> Is this - or something like it - included in rpmfusion free or nonfree?

No. There have been long flamebaits over including libdvdcss in RPM Fusion
or not (due to legal issues). At the end it was decided to keep it in the
old Livna repository.

http://rpm.livna.org/

Thanks, done that!
> Thanks, Kevin. If I remember correctly, in some replies to other
> questions about sound devices, you wrote something about "Alsa being on
> top of PA" (or vice versa!)

Well, both are true to some extent. :-)
ALSA applications

PulseAudio ALSA plugin (alsa-plugins-pulseaudio)

PulseAudio <-- Other applications, using other APIs (PulseAudio native, ESD)

ALSA hardware device

> Question 1 - which way is "front" & "back" ie nearer Hardware or nearer
> User?

Front = nearer to the user, back = nearer to the hardware.
OK<<< so "sink" = front & "source" = back (generally!)
> Question 2 - is there a way for naive users (like me!) to find out what
> sequence of modules/software/gizmos is actually involved in say, getting
> the noise from my CD/DVD/AC97 to the speakers?

See the basic diagram above. (The complete diagram is a bit more complex
than that though.)

And can I from a command line list the current connections?  I tried
# lsmod|grep snd
snd_intel8x0           30620  3
snd_ac97_codec         95268  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                5504  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_dummy           6660  0
snd_seq_oss            30364  0
snd_seq_midi_event      9600  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                48576  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_usb_audio          77696  0
snd_pcm_oss            42496  0
snd_mixer_oss          16896  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_usb_lib            17536  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            22528  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_pcm 65924 4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss snd_seq_device 10124 4 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              22024  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_page_alloc         11016  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd 50616 20 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_usb_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
soundcore               9416  1 snd

Sadly, man lsmod only tells me it produces a "nice layout", without telling me how to interpret the colums.... I assume the first number is its process id,the second one how many modules it either calls (the ones listed) or is called by -- and the ones with "0" in this place are not active/ends of chains????? -- and the lower the pid, the earlier the proces/module started?
> Question 5 - in the Skype example above, how can I find out what the 4
> SiS variants represent?

Different outputs of your sound card, most likely.

Normally you should let PulseAudio worry about where to output and set your
applications to output to PulseAudio.
Just tried selecting "default" for both & get "problems with audio capture" or "problems with audio playback"
Selecting "pulse" for both gives unintelligible sound
Selecting "si7012(hw:si7102:0) for both, works.
The handbook may be outdated.

        Kevin Kofler
Again, many thanks Kevin!

The front end of something is the bit that's apparent to you (user
interface, etc.), the back-end is what goes on behind the scenes.

If you want analogies, think of "shop fronts."

Thanks Tim - nice analogy!