Re: Anyone unable to run specifc applications after recent selinux-policy?

Mike Cloaked wrote:

Dave Roberts-12 wrote:

Hmm... I don't think it's just your problem. I'm having similar issues.
After the latest update, Emacs refuses to run in X (runs okay in a term
window with "emacs -nw") and Firefox keeps hanging randomly. There
doesn't appear to be any error message at all. If I start Emacs from a
menu pick or a panel button, it displays the "Starting Emacs Text
Editor" application button in the lower panel, but that eventually goes
away and no window appears. If I try to start Emacs from a term window
("emacs"), it just hangs forever. Firefox keeps hanging randomly, too.

I am now wondering if this is due to the broken libX11 package
libX11-1.1.5-1.fc10.i386 - a number of issues have followed that - and a new
version (-2) is pushed to testing a few hours back....maybe that will fix
things?

It does look like version 1.1.5-1 of libX11 is the problem with Emacs and other X window programs hanging when they startup.  Downgrading to version 1.1.4-5 fixed the problem.  I would have used the previous version 1.1.4-6 but found the rpm's for version 1.1.4-5 of libX11 and libX11-devel first.

One problem occurred during the downgrade, my laptop would no longer boot up.  It would display "GRUB" and hang.  It appears that the MBR became corrupted.  This was fixed by reinstalling the Grub stage1 binary from my existing /boot/grub partition/directory.

Directions for reinstalling the Grub stage1 binary to the MBR can be found in the Booting from Second Disk thread in the Fedora Forums.  In order for follow the directions for reinstalling the stage1 binary to the MBR, I booted my system using a Fedora 10 Live CD and mounted my /boot partition before running grub manually to perform the reinstall.  In my case, "mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3" made my /boot partition and /boot/grub/stage1 file available.

--
  Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed."
     -- G.K. Chesterton