Re: URL error message in Thunderbird -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
Remi Collet wrote:
Le 24/03/2009 20:00, Kevin J. Cummings a écrit :
Bob Goodwin wrote:
This is an F-10 updated computer and I am getting an error when I
click on a URL in a Thunderbird email:

   Error showing url: Failed to execute child process
   "/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.6/firefox" (No such file or directory)

Is this a recognized problem or am I unique?
Bob

Given that the current firefox is version 3.0.7, I have to ask.  Are you
running the current firefox?  If so, something screwed up in your
update.  If not, then have you ever modified Thunderbird's about:config
to point to a specific firefox?  Clearly the preferred application
pointer is not right, the only question is "why is it not right".

If, at first FF 3.0.6 launch, when it ask about default browser you answer

- yes : become my default browser
(it save /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.6/firefox in gnome config)
- no : don't check this again
(it will not check and save new path in gnome config)

So : you shouldn't anwser Yes to the first question

Fix : System / Pref. / Personal / Pref app => Firefox
(will save firefox (without path) in the gnome pref)

Improvment : defaulf firefox config should be set to not test default
browser on Launch:  browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser = false

Hope that helps
Remi.

I copied .thunderbird, or at least parts of it, from F-9 to this F-10 computer to transfer the mail. That's probably where the request for a firefox 3.0.6 file came from! I don't know where that reference to 3.0.7 is made. I can remove and reinstall thunderbird but I will loose mail and the mail filters.

I think I'll put that on my list of things to deal with later.

It's not a setting within Thunderbird.  From the main menu, go to
System -> Preferences -> Personal -> Preferred Applications
and fix the Web Browser setting.

                Do NOT delete it.