Re: Want to start a LUG with all fedora support.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:13:05AM +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Rohit Gupta <rohit.kgec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I want to start an GNU LUG in KGEC with Fedora as the main distribution and
> > all Support.
>
> This should not be the case. There should be people using different
> distros in a LUG. Only then learning new things is possible. Doesn't
> matter even if you are a Fedora Ambassador. Other distros should also
> get representation in a LUG.

I agree that LUGs should be distro-neutral, in terms of welcoming
everyone who wants to learn and participate.  I restarted the LUG in
my area, for instance, and we are open to people of all distros -- we
have users of Fedora, openSUSE, CentOS, Slax, Ubuntu, RHEL, and a few
others.  That's the way all LUGs should be, in my opinion.

Incidentally, I've recently seen certain local distro-specific groups
billing themselves as LUGs, and I object to it, for the same reason I
object to a Fedora Users Group doing it.  Free and open source
software should be about openness and collaboration with everyone, not
just a select few.  I don't have any problem with distro-specific
groups as such, but groups should not pretend to be that which they
aren't.

If you want to set up a specific Fedora Users Group, you should feel
empowered to do it.  You could probably even find Fedora community
members and Ambassadors in your area willing to help.  If you're
up-front about what the group is for, you run a far lower risk of
creating any misunderstandings.