Re: F10 evolution hangs on imap after a few hours

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 21:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 10:50 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > Every so often I come into work to find Thunderbird prompting for my
> > > Gmail password. When I supply it, I get a message saying
> > > "imap.googlemail.com is not a valid IMAP4 server." - a thunderbird
> > > restart cures this.
> >
> > It was fairly clear to me that this is a problem with Gmail and not
> > Evolution, and now you have effectively confirmed it. The fact that it's
> > so easy to correct (even if it *is* Gmail's fault) is why I reported it
> > to the Evo BZ.
> ----
> I surely believe that there are some timeout issues occasionally with
> Gmail and don't dispute what you are suggesting but in the past two
> days, since I have turned off TLS, Evolution has not hung on my IMAP
> server. I recognize that it isn't possible to use Gmail/IMAP without SSL
> but I strongly suspect that some of your problems are rooted in SSL/TLS
> with Evolution.
>
> I may play around with adding my gmail account to Evolution after I go
> another day without SSL/TLS in Evolution to see if it hangs but it
> hasn't hung on me in the last day and half since I turned it off.

Both my IMAP accounts use SSL, not TLS. That includes Gmail. The only
hangs are with Gmail, not with the other account. I think we are seeing
two different problems here. There may well be a TLS problem, but there
is also a Gmail problem orthogonal to that.

Gmail is unlike most IMAP servers out there in several respects, due to
its underlying model being so different (e.g. labels instead of folders,
the way deletion is managed etc.), but they do try to map their model
onto what IMAP expects. However the fact that you aren't talking to a
single server is possibly the key to the problem, i.e. at any given time
you are talking to one server, but the server can change from one moment
to the next. What happens if the server changes while an IMAP connection
is still open, such as is very likely to happen with Evo given that it
keeps IMAP connections open for long periods of time even when no
traffic is flowing? I don't think anyone outside of Google really knows,
and that's where I would look first.

poc