Re: kernel

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 19:35 -0800, john wendel wrote:
Stanisław T. Findeisen wrote:
Why doesn't Fedora use vanilla Linux kernel?

STF

http://eisenbits.homelinux.net/~stf/ . My PGP key fingerprint is:
9D25 3D89 75F1 DF1D F434  25D7 E87F A1B9 B80F 8062

I never run the stock Fedora kernel and I've never had a kernel problem (that I didn't cause). It's very easy to pick up a vanilla kernel at kernel.org and configure it exactly the way you want. I do it because I like to and it saves a few MB on the 512 MB box I use very day.

IIRC, there are a couple of patches that are necessary for a fully
functional Fedora kernel.  You may not have encountered those issues,
but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

The kernel source RPM can be rebuilt as a nearly vanilla kernel without
too much trouble.  Then one can install that kernel using RPM and get
the benefits of packaging without most of the patches, if one wants.  I
did that a while ago for some testing, and it worked just fine.

Grab the kernel SRPM, unpack it, and read the SPEC file to see what
options are needed on the rpmbuild command.  My experience is documented
someplace in the archives, but I don't have time to hunt it down now,
and I'm happy with the distro kernels at the moment.

I'm happy in general, but I prefer a faster clock tick for a machine hosting multiple KVM virtual machines.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>