Re: f10 annoying bugs/enhancements: chooser

Le 12/03/2009 16:05, Paul W. Frields a écrit :
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:27:40AM +1030, Tim wrote:
>> Sharpe, Sam J:

>> fred smith:
>>> This doesn't seem to work in F10. I remember seeing other posts on it,
>>> and the consensus was th at a lot of the configurability has been disabled,
>>> including the ability to control the font size (which on my eeepc is HUGE
>>> on the small screen).
>>>
>>> Allegedly, replacing it with the one from F9 solves the proglem, though
>>> I haven't tried that.
>> Well, I'm using Fedora 9, and nothing that I've tried stops that damn
>> user list appearing on GDM.  Neither does anything stop the inclusion of
>> names I want excluded.  I've even tried changing the background image,
>> and it ignores that instruction, too.
>>
>> I've got no kind words for the thing.  It's not configurable.  It's slow
>> to fire up, *much* slower than the GDM logon screen on Fedora 7.  Every
>> log on requires cursoring through the list, or typing the name, since it
>> NEVER starts with reselecting the same name that logged in previously,
>> nor does the list appear to be in any detectable sorting order (user ID,
>> user name, real name, nothing).
>>
>> I tried using XDM, instead, but it doesn't start something that Gnome
>> needs to run.  I don't want *anything* to do with KDE on my system, so
>> KDM's not getting a look in.
>>
>> Just a straight type in username and password box, as it used to be,
>> would suit me.
>
> This should work fine:
>
> $ su -               # enter root password at prompt
> $ GCONFSYS=$(gconftool-2 --get-default-source)
> $ gconftool-2 --config-source=$GCONFSYS --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list \
>   --type bool true

It worked for me too on f10.

Have you any other tips like this to change the language: I would like
the chooser in French, or the image which is quite nice when you use one
screen but become ugly when spread on two screens...

I am wondering why there is not a more friendly way to configure all this..

Thanks.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique