Re: Evolution throwing away emails for one of my accounts ?

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 08:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > If we want to get serious about this problem, it wouldn't be hard for
> > Evolution to see that the file size is approaching the size limit for
> > the OS and split a "folder" into 2 files.   The problem with manually
> > splitting folders is that I don't think there is an <easy> way to search
> > both of them simultaneously.  Although I have to admit I haven't tried
> > to do that yet, nor have I played much with vfolders...
> ----
> I suppose you could bugzilla an RFE but good luck. Evolution developers
> have their own agenda.
>
> As for searching multiple folders, if they are subfolders of your INBOX,
> then any search on your INBOX would automatically include subfolders.

I'll check that out.

> > > It's a bit rude to throw around words like "cesspool" when you actually
> > > mean "tower of cards" ;o)
> >
> > You guys underestimate the system I have running here.  Evolution
> > ROCKS !
> ----
> I pretty much underestimate any person who keeps thousands of e-mails in
> their INBOX rather than organize their e-mail.

It IS organized.   How many emails would you have in your GENERAL
mailbox since 2002 ?  No matter how well you organize things, you'll
need a general "this email doesn't fit anywhere else and can't be
categorized" mailbox.  Well, mine is 2GB in size, because I do a LOT of
email correspondence.

> I believe I have used Evolution since it's first appearance on RHL but I
> stopped using POP3 a long, long time ago so I haven't had to deal with
> mbox and all of it's fragility many years ago. In my mind, anyone who
> does a lot of e-mail should set up a mail server with IMAP and either
> cyrus-imapd or dovecot with Maildir and if necessary, use fetchmail or
> equivalent to retrieve e-mail from POP3 servers as they are much more
> efficient at storing, retrieving, indexing e-mail.

None of that is necessary.  Evolution works fine.  Excellent in fact.