Re: Kaffiene vs gene, score 1-0

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>Everytime I do a startx, I waste about 3 minutes killing kaffiene, which
>insists on starting,  complete with several error messages related to
>gstreamer.  I can select quit from its file menu, but then I have to run
> htop, find the one kaffeine process that is still running and locking up my
> tv card from any other programs access, and kill it.  And on the next
> reboot and startx, its the same darned song and dance.
>
>How the heck can I stop running kaffeine at an x start?  For my card, it is
> a thoroughly broken application.
>
>I may also have found the src of my F10 instability.  I just rebuilt my fav
>kernels using the F10 compiler tools, and so far not an Oops or BUG in half
> an hour of uptime.  That knocking sound?  Yeah. :)

PS: A 2nd subject:

As an afterthought, I also have about 2 minutes of a dead system when I start
kmail, which is apparently waiting on akonadi, which eventually fails of
course because my system has a mysql installed that was already configured for
mythtv usage when I upgraded, not installed, from F8 to F10.

I have asked several times for how to fix this, even posted the error log, but
so far no solution has been offered.  I have used mysqladministrator to add
akonadi as a client, using that as passwd too, and setup akonadi with matching
passwds too, but that makes no diff that I can see.

If we cannot fix this using the normal setup procedures, then how can I rid
kmail of this akonadi dependency, as it runs just fine ANAICT without it?

3rd subject, where is the default volume set for the startup and shutdown
audio splash files, they are blowing out the windows on the neighbors houses.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)