Re: Hardware upgrade -> Volume Group "VolGroup00" not found.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>> This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time was
>> after a hardware upgrade on the computer I'm using right now, however,
>> it was an F8 system so instead of preupgrade I decided a fresh install
>> was in order, no big deal.
>>
>> This time it's with my Myth Box running F10 and if I don't fix this
>> quickly the wife is going to kill me. Why does a hardware change (new
>> MB) cause this problem? Shouldn't it be able to find the volume group
>> regardless?
>>
>> In my previous situation a livecd could find the volume group but the
>> installed system could not and I suspect the same will happen this
>> time but I am creating a livecd just to be sure.
>>
>> Any troubleshooting ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>>
>> Old System:
>> AMD Sempron 64 3100+
>> Cheap nForce3 MB
>>
>> New(er) system:
>> AMD Athlon X2 5200+
>> Gigabyte AMD 770 chipset. MB
>>
> Chances are, your disk controller changed with the change of
> motherboards. This has been covered a couple of times on this list.
>
> The fix is fairly simple - build a new initrd with the drivers for
> the new motherboard. You can do this by booting with the install
> media and using the rescue mode. Then chroot to the mounted root
> directory, and run mkinitrd.
>
> Mikkel

Hmm..... I saw some responses like that, however, my current liveusb
is i386 and the install is x86_64. I tried bascially a full copy of my
working system's /boot which was actually used to boot on THAT
hardware until yesterday and it had the same issue.

i.e. New HW -> My Desktop, My old Desktop HW -> MythBox.

So the initrd I copied over to it was actually used to boot on that
very same hardware.

I'll have to re download F10 x86_64 as I had to delete it for space a
while ago. I'll try mkinitrd but I have some doubts, unless someone
can find fault with copying over a working /boot (which was used on
that specific hardware previously).

Thanks,
Richard