Re: Something is Fishy About My Network

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Suggestion #2 (if you are up to it):  Disable DHCP serving in your
router and setup a DHCP server on a Linux machine.  You can set up the
dchp.conf file to do everything your touter is doing.  If this machine
is also running DNS, there are some ways to get them to talk to each
other so that DNS knows the names of machines served by the DHCP server.
This is not trivial, and requires in depth knowledge of both protocols
to get to work right.  Possibly including depricated configuration options.

I think you're overstating the complexity of this.  It shouldn't be that
hard for him to get it working with dnsmasq.  Also, what aspect of the
configuration do you think is deprecated?

The Linux DHCP server no longer has the right hooks to fix up BIN directly. It needs another tool to help out. The "old" way of doing that is no longer supported and is deprecated. At least according to the documentation the last time I read it (about 5 years ago).

Matt Flaschen

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx