Re: display "stretched"

brian wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
brian wrote:

I tried resetting using xrandr:

$ xrandr --fb 1152x864
xrandr: specified screen 1152x864 not large enough for output default (1360x864+0+0)

Does:

xrandr -s 1360x864

work any better for you? I find that I have to issue 2 commands since it "thinks" its already in the size I wish to choose, so I'd do:

xrandr -s 800x600
xrandr -s 1360x864

Of course, I forgot your suggestion to issue 2 commands.

-s sets the screen size. -fb sets the frame buffer size. The frame buffer size needs to be large enough to hold the largest screen size, since a smaller screen size can be "scrolled" to view the entire frame buffer if necessary. In Xorg.conf parlance, -fb is the "virtual screen size", and -s is the actual screen size. When -s is smaller than -fb, the screen can be scrolled (via mouse movements) to view the entire frame buffer.

Eminently sensible. I obviously didn't read the man page carefully enough. I'll try that the next time this occurs. Thanks.

Just to be clear, I'll issue:

xrandr -s 800x600
xrandr -s 1152x864

You had the second one as the "wrong" dimensions.

I'm still confused about the horizontal labelled as being larger while it's the vertical dimension that's been changed.