Re: display "stretched"

brian wrote:
OK, so this has just happened again so I took the opportunity to see what xrandr had to say about it.

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1360 x 864, maximum 1360 x 864
default connected 1360x864+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1360x768       60.0
   1152x864       60.0
   1024x768       70.0     60.0
   1024x576       60.0
   960x600        60.0
   960x540        60.0
   800x600        60.0     56.0
   768x576        60.0
   720x576        60.0
   856x480        60.0
   800x480        60.0
   720x480        61.0
   640x480        60.0
   512x384        60.0
   400x300        60.0
   320x240        61.0
   1360x864       60.0*

Two odd (to me) things: it's suggesting that it's the horizontal measure that's changed, though what I'm seeing is a display that's very much stretched vertically, and it's listed this new pair last, below the smallest one.

I tried resetting using xrandr:

$ xrandr --fb 1152x864
xrandr: specified screen 1152x864 not large enough for output default (1360x864+0+0)

Does:

xrandr -s 1360x864

work any better for you? I find that I have to issue 2 commands since it "thinks" its already in the size I wish to choose, so I'd do:

xrandr -s 800x600
xrandr -s 1360x864

-s sets the screen size. -fb sets the frame buffer size. The frame buffer size needs to be large enough to hold the largest screen size, since a smaller screen size can be "scrolled" to view the entire frame buffer if necessary. In Xorg.conf parlance, -fb is the "virtual screen size", and -s is the actual screen size. When -s is smaller than -fb, the screen can be scrolled (via mouse movements) to view the entire frame buffer.

In the end, logging out and back in has fixed things, as usual.

Of course, it resets everything from scratch.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx