Re: kontrol on missing list

On Sunday 01 March 2009, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 11:47 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I have upgraded to kde 4.2, and two things catch me right away.
>>
>> 1. Switching the kde thing back to menu, I see kontrol listed, but its
>> apparently a dead menu entry, not even a busy pointer when I click on it.
>>
>> 2. Under F8, my logitech keyboards media keys for mute and volume control
>> Just Worked(TM) without me doing anything.  I think this may be related to
>> audio in general cuz none of the system sounds are working although I can
>> listen to news video and such.  The root of this may go all the way back
>> to the fact that the system finds 3 audio outputs, and seems to want to
>> default to the intel HDA built into my HD2400 Pro video card, and which is
>> not even bonded out to the card edge, let alone to rear panel connections
>> unless its in the actual monitor plug, and this monitor has no speakers.
>> So the first thing is to restore all the audio signal steering to the
>> Audigy-2 (sb400) sound card. That section of my /etc/modprobe.conf:
>>
>> options snd cards_limit=8 <-new after f10 upgrade
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
>> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
>> alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel index=2
>> alias snd-card-2 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel index=2
>> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio <-new after F10 upgrade
>> options snd-usb-audio index=7 <-also new, I didn't add these.
>>
>> I also had entries for the motherboard audio, which apparently didn't
>> survive the upgrade.
>>
>> On a startx, pulseaudio says it can't do something and will default to the
>> intel HDA, then fades away before I can memorize what it offers for the
>> reason, so I assume that is where all my missing system sounds are going.
>>
>> I don't even know where to start.  Help?
>
>----
>kcontrol was kde 3.x
>
>systemsettings is the replacement - you can find settings for keyboard
>mappings there - I believe that the keyboard substitutions also
>completely changed to evdev.
>
>Craig

I see, but no hints from that as to what to do.  The defaults look good, but I
think they are being applied to the wrong sound controller system if they are
active.  In pulseaudio prefs, the intel hda stuff is first in the list, so its
ignoring my modprobe.conf settings.  Is this a bug?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)