Boot into single user mode

Dear All,

I lost root password for one of my box running Fedora 9. I am not sure if its one of the clever users who changed the password since I had not locked it down. I am now trying to boot into single user mode in order to reset the password. However, at the Fedora Splash screen the system does not respond to any key "a" for me to boot into run level 1. Is it a configuration that has been tempered with?

Regards
/Bravo