Re: Fedora 10 64-bit & Wired Network Problems - New Problem

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:56 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> I had to reboot the system (after updating) - the USB wireless keyboard
> stopped working (replaced batteries - still does not work). The wireless
> mouse worked and I could use the cursor to start programs but could not
> type any input. I plugged in a wired usb keyboard and mouse.
>
> Now the system refuses to reboot into a graphical display even though
> inittab is at 5. I can ctrl-alt F2 into a shell and even install new
> packages (so the networking is still working).
>
> But X refuses to run (although I don't see any error messages even with
> dmesg). I checked xorg.conf and it consists of just Section Device using
> the vesa driver. I looked through the entire X11 log but no errors are
> reported - it finds the vesa driver and usable modes - yet no display.
> After the F10 white line thingy at the bottom goes away, the cursor just
> blinks in the upper left hand corner. I have to ctrl alt F2 to a shell
> to log in.
>
> I'm completely stumped. What else should I check? The kernel is
> 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.x86_64. If I type "startx" I get "No address
> associated with name". It says to check /usr/bin/X but this does not
> exist.

It could be useful to mention your graphics card as it might be a driver
problem. Does ~/.xsession-errors say anything useful? Not all logging
goes to /var/log/X*

BTW, try as I mught I can see nothing in your message related to "Fedora
10 64-bit & Wired Network Problems". Looks like a hijack.

poc