Re: Has anybody else been experiencing problems with F10 hanging?

On 02/24/2009 07:39 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> Kevin Martin wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting some strange things happening on F10 lately.  In a terminal
>>> session if I "ps -ef" or "w" or "ls" or anything of that nature the
>>> command runs (sometimes) but never returns the prompt.  Also, my loadavg
>>> seems to go sky high but  "top" doesn't necessarily show anything using
>>> much CPU (actually, top will often show that  my cpu utilization is 90+%
>>> idle while my loadavg is upwards of 10).  I can usually shutdown my
>>> "gui"fied apps (like Thunderbird, Firefox, VirtualBox) but if I try and
>>> reboot the reboot hangs while trying to shutdown "automount" and I have
>>> to cycle the power on the box.  I'm running the latest updates including
>>> kernel 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.i686.  Any thoughts or suggestions are
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Kevin
>>>

>> Check the %wa field in top - most likely the CPU is busy with some I/O
>> accesses (probably the HD).
>> I always look at the %id to get the % CPU amount actually used because
>> %wa is not added to %system or %user
>>
>> Instead of power cycling, use REISUB - it should be easier on your file
>> system (need to enable it with "kernel.sysrq = 1" in /etc/sysctl.conf)
>>

> Looks like I misread - now I see that you wrote that idle is 90+...
> REISUB still applies though -
> http://fosswire.com/2007/09/08/fix-a-frozen-system-with-the-magic-sysrq-keys/

Thanks for the tip. I edited sysctl.conf and rebooted.  Using the key
sequence, I can reboot my machine when things are good. But, just a few
minutes ago, it locked up completely.  I was looking at a frozen screen
and trying the alt-sysrq REISUB did nothing.  I had to hit the power
switch.  Also, I'm unable to ssh into the box when its locked up.

Nothing seems to hit /var/log/messages right before the lockups. Is
there any other location I can look at for post-mortem clues?

- --

  Steve