Re: Has anybody else been experiencing problems with F10 hanging?

Kevin Martin wrote:
> I'm getting some strange things happening on F10 lately.  In a terminal
> session if I "ps -ef" or "w" or "ls" or anything of that nature the
> command runs (sometimes) but never returns the prompt.  Also, my loadavg
> seems to go sky high but  "top" doesn't necessarily show anything using
> much CPU (actually, top will often show that  my cpu utilization is 90+%
> idle while my loadavg is upwards of 10).  I can usually shutdown my
> "gui"fied apps (like Thunderbird, Firefox, VirtualBox) but if I try and
> reboot the reboot hangs while trying to shutdown "automount" and I have
> to cycle the power on the box.  I'm running the latest updates including
> kernel 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.i686.  Any thoughts or suggestions are
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin

Check the %wa field in top - most likely the CPU is busy with some I/O
accesses (probably the HD).
I always look at the %id to get the % CPU amount actually used because
%wa is not added to %system or %user

Instead of power cycling, use REISUB - it should be easier on your file
system (need to enable it with "kernel.sysrq = 1" in /etc/sysctl.conf)