Re: F10 -- Xen, VirtualBox, or VMWare?

Beartooth wrote:
> 	What of Rahul's comment, further up the thread, saying "KVM
> (assuming you have the hardware support) with Virt-manager (if you
> need a GUI)"??
>
> 	How do we tell if we have the hardware it takes? (And I for one
> do need a GUI for anything very complicated.)

You need a fairly recent processor: I think anything multicore from AMD
has support, whereas Intel chips may or may not have it depending on how
Intel feels.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Fedora8VirtQuickStart#Fully-virtualized_guests_.28HVM.2FIntel-VT.2FAMD-V.29 says:

    To run fully virtualized guests in Xen or KVM, host CPU support is
    needed. This is typically referred to as Intel VT, or AMD-V. To
    check for Intel VT support look for the ‘vmx’ flag, or for AMD-V
    support check for ‘svm’ flag:

    ....For Intel....
    grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo
    flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

    ....For AMD....
    grep svm /proc/cpuinfo
    flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy

If both those commands return nothing, you don't have hardware
virtualisation support.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | Modern technology has given me the ability to fix a
aprilcottage.co.uk | haddock to the ceiling.  Learned wisdom allows me to