Re: DHCP assistance required.

Simon Slater wrote:
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 22:44 +1030, Tim wrote:
 > I just wonder why the parser was pointing to the line before this
one?

The last one it understood?  Although that was the sort of behaviour
I've seen in other things (the computer says things were fine up
to /this/ point), but it doesn't tally with the way I'm used to seeing
error messages in this case.

You could try stuffing up another line to see what the error response
is.  Perhaps the error reporting is wrong.  I've certainly seen other
things make wrong error reports.  e.g. Error "at line 10..." where
it's
been counting lines of commands and treating multiple blank lines as
single blank lines, instead of giving you a real line count position.

At this point in time Tim, I think I'll follow the old adage "If it
isn't broken, don't fix it".  But as I add dhcp clients, I fully expect
to add more functionality into the dhcpd.conf, so I'll try inducing
errors when I next need to make changes (if my modifications don't cause
errors anyway).  It is curious though because those 2 lines came from
the dhcpd.conf.sample file. I copied the file across to /etc and deleted
what I didn't need to start with.  Something changed along the way and I
didn't notice.

I have every file I change in /etc in RCS, so if/when I upgrade installations I know I can see what I changed, recover if I finger check, etc.

Thanks again everyone.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>